Thursday, February 18, 2016



Rhys & Dorian
Living in a Multi Species House

Our family has a dog, a cat, an amazon parrot and a cockatiel and for the most part they dislike each other and the feuding is usually over me. They all want my attention all the time!!  My day starts with my cat, Rhys, meowing as soon as my eyelids begin to flutter, my dog MacTavish, urgently wanting to go out for his duties and my two birds screaming from downstairs for me the minute my feet hit the floor. Good Morning!!  

Stefaan & Dorian
I rush around like a mad woman opening the backyard door while dishing out some cat food, then tear off the blankets covering the two bird cages and put a bird on each shoulder, which makes them stop screaming. Once I have fed the crew and given them fresh water I can start getting ready for work while they are eating.  I know immediately when they are done, both cat and dog come into the bedroom and the birds start to whistle loudly for me to come and get them too. As I get ready, brushing my teeth, drying my hair, and applying makeup with one bird on each shoulder, both cat and dog staring at me, and I feel so loved. 
MacTavish
When I leave for work I have to make sure the cockatiel is put in the parrot’s cage, the parrot is put in his daytime enclosure, the cat is in the basement and the dog has his tricky treat ball filled with his kibble to keep him occupied while I am making my getaway and I think to myself, my pets are so loved. 
My workday is peaceful in comparison to the loud mayhem of the morning but it is all waiting for me at home the second my key goes in the lock.  Before I am even in the door I can hear the birds screaming for me , my dog runs to the door and practically knocks me over and my cat is meowing and banging on the door to get out of the basement and  to me, and I feel so loved.
The evening is a delicate balance of giving my attention to each one of my pets without making another jealous but I am an expert at this now.  I can scratch the necks of each bird with my two hands and rub the bellies of my dog and cat with my two feet. All my pets are happy and I feel so loved. 
I’m sure I am not alone, thanks for reading.
Sandra McBride, Bowmanville Veterinary Clinic



No comments:

Post a Comment