Saturday, February 1, 2014

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?


I have a 7 year old lab mix named Ruby. I had always wanted to try agility in the past with one of my dogs, but for one reason or another life just seemed to get in the way…until last spring. 
I decided to try an introductory agility class with Ruby at K9 Central here in Bowmanville. It was so much fun! The atmosphere was very relaxed and everyone seemed to be there for the same reason, to enjoy the time with their dogs while they got to run off some energy in a controlled environment. 
Despite her age Ruby seemed to pick it up very quickly and she loves it!! The trainer even commented that Ruby had missed her calling in life! I wish I had started her sooner. She was always a fast runner (my husband calls her the bullet) and loved to jump up on/over things! She definitely has a lot of energy to burn which her daily walks do not satisfy. 
After moving up a few levels in training, I entered Ruby in 2 trials in the summer and although we did not place we had a lot of fun and we gained some experience. I think it was good for Ruby to be exposed to all the activity at the trial in an environment she had grown to love (it was held in the same field we had taken our lessons in). She had always been more of a shy dog, unsure of strangers and other dogs.
I love how excited she gets on the way to agility (she knows exactly when that is where we are going) and how she just falls asleep in the car on the way home. I think agility is one of those activities that any dog can do and some should! It combines obedience with just plain fun. It helps energetic dogs blow off some steam. Its easy and fun for you too! Maybe this blog is more about promoting agility but nevertheless......
all this to say two things: 
1.You CAN teach and older dog new tricks and
2. DON’T WAIT to try your puppy/dog out with something that you could both really end up enjoying (there is more out there than just obedience training)!

Karen G RVT

No comments:

Post a Comment