Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Own A Husky !

Years ago when we first decided it was time to welcome a dog into our family I did my research. As a Technician at Bowmanville Veterinary Clinic I had met and fallen for many different shapes and sizes but making a personal choice was a big decision. So many purebreds have health concerns that are more common with that specific breed. We had considered a mixed breed but I kept coming back to the Husky. As far a health concerns the list was manageable; behaviour concerns topped the list. The digging, running, howling, prey drive and shedding-piece of cake. So the adorable, fluffy cuddly ball of fur we named Kara came to live with us. I was convinced we would have the first husky that could play off leash, would not dig, would not chase my father-in-laws chickens etc, etc. WRONG. After six months of chasing calves, running off with the coyotes, getting caught in a trap, a porcupine encounter, holes in the yard, howling when left alone we knew things had to change. That's when I became a "walker". I am now known as " the lady from Enniskillen who walks her dog all the time". Until then I loved being outdoors, after all I lived in the country on a small farm. I walked her to the farm every day to see my horses and do chores, but this was apparently not enough, I was the proud owner of Kara for fifteen years and did not hesitate to adopt another gorgeous girl after it was time to say good bye to Kara.

It was not long before Kenzie came into my life. The two weeks between losing Kara and adopting Kenzie were brutal for me. I had been walking Kara for 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day and not having that as part of my day was very difficult. The first month I owned Kenzie we walked part way and then I carried her. She has never been off leash, I learned that from Kara. Kenzie is the perfect dog, I know we all think that about our own dogs but she really is fantastic as long as she gets her long walks every day. Sometimes she goes twice because both Brian and I enjoy walking her.Our walks are primarily in the fields and woods around Enniskillen just north of Bowmanville. This brings me to the reason for this blog. Over the next several months I want to share some of my experiences as well as talk about things to consider for the Veterinary care of a really outdoorsy dog. More to come...... Diane McGill Registered Veterinary Technician

1 comment: