Friday, October 19, 2012

COMPARING THE COST - HUMAN VS. ANIMAL

By Dr. Doug Mader MS, DVM, DIPLOMATE, ABVP (CA)

A lot has been discussed about the cost of veterinary care in my column over the last couple of months.  I have been pushing for preventive health care –it is always less expensive than treating a problem once it happens.  But sometimes, things happen and we may not get a choice when we can seek the care.

I was in a serious auto accident many years ago. I have had more than my share of surgeries as a result of that event. There is nary a body part that hasn’t been cut on, but the record, by far, is my left elbow.  The most recent of the seven surgeries was just last month.

Interestingly, just prior to this last surgery, I performed a similar surgery on one of my patients.  I weigh 175pounds.  My patient was an adult, male golden retriever named Rover weighing in at an even 100 pounds.  He and I are about the same age in dog years.
 
I had an olecranon bursectomy.  I did an elbow hygoma repair on my quadrupedal  counterpart – a very similar surgical procedure.  Note the photo for a comparison.  Boxed is a breakdown of the two parallel procedures.
 
I received fantastic care during my surgery and brief stay at the hospital.  I guarantee that Rover got just as good a quality of care as I did.  I think service and compassion were a wash in this comparison.

I know for a fact that many pet owners think veterinarians charge too much.  I hear that all the time.  Take a look at this side-by-side fee comparison.  The same surgery, one-tenth the cost.

Service or Procedure

Rover Paid
Doug Paid
Initial office exam
$75.
$290.

X-rays
$160
$300.

X-ray reading fee

---
$180.
Estimate given

Yes,($1,750.)
Yes, ($12,000.)
Pre-op Antibiotics

$21.
$205.
Pre-op Meds

$45.
$231.
IV Catheter

$42.
$289.
IV fluids

$35.
$43.
Anesthesia

$224.
$2,860.
Recovery

---
$860.
OR fee

---
$6,915.
Surgeon Fee

$650.
$1,484.
Incision Size
2 cm
2cm

Microbial culture

$123.
$539.
Histopath  (tissue analysis)

$129.
$241.
Bandage

$62.
$302.
Rx Antiobitics

$41.
$205.
Rx Pain medications

$78.
$130.
Miscellaneous fees *

---
$850.
Recheck/Suture Removal

0
$90.

TOTAL


$1,685.

$16,014.
*Anesthetic monitoring, surgery pack, OR and recovery room O2, suture, gauze, drapes, prep, BG, BP cuff, suction, sterile containers, Pulse Ox sensor, headrest pad.


No comments:

Post a Comment